This archive of published media articles about wildlife crime in Namibia aims to:
Public access to information is a vital component of ensuring community engagement in prevalent issues. Wildlife crime is one of the pressing environmental issues of our time.
Wildlife crime investigations are generally covert operations requiring utmost confidentiality to succeed. Investigations and prosecutions in complex cases may take months or even years to complete. For this reason, the information that can be released to the public without compromising cases is often limited. Nonetheless, the Namibian government strives to share as much information as possible with the public.
The Namibian media has welcomed this approach and regularly publishes statistics and feature articles on wildlife crime. These are entered into the database at regular intervals, creating a comprehensive archive of wildlife crime reporting in Namibia.
Explore your search results using the filter checkboxes, or amend your search or start a new search.
The Kruger National Park has a major rhino-poaching crisis, but that's just one of many mounting problems - and it's extremely worrying.
Singapore - An eight-week INTERPOL operation against wildlife crime and trafficking resulted in arrests and seizures across Asia and Africa. Codenamed Golden Strike, the operation - which ended late last year - targeted the criminals and networks smuggling wildlife protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) from Africa to Asia.
Despite back-breaking work from a dedicated and passionate SANParks team, Kruger National Park rhino populations have continued to plummet - as per the latest population count from 2020. Recently published research estimates that there are about 2,607 white rhinos remaining in the Kruger National Park, while black rhinos are estimated to number just 202. This represents a population decline of 75% for white rhinos since 2011 (from 10,621) and 51% for black rhino since 2013 (from 415).
A court in Mozambique has sentenced the leader of a poaching gang to 30 years in prison on Wednesday. The man was convicted of the crimes of poaching, illegal possession of weapons and association to commit offences, the ministry said in a statement, noting that he had also been sentenced to pay a fine of 1 percent of minimum wage for 28 years, news website Club of Mozambique wrote. The accused was arrested on May 3, 2021, "when he was returning from an attempt to hunt rhinoceros for the second time illegally", authorities said.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
MOZ_2022_01_Mozambique court sentences poaching boss to 30 years_IOL.pdf | 311.71 KB |
Rhino poaching in South Africa is at a critical level despite a "deafening" silence from official government communications and mainstream media, one of southern Africa’s most dedicated and respected wildlife vets Dr Dave Cooper maintains. Referring to the violent killing of rhino as "murders" rather than the mild, mundane "poaching", he issued a massive cry for action before it's too late, begging the world to wake up, see and stop what is happening in South Africa, according to Rhino Review. His plea comes days after witnessing possibly the "worst…
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
SA_2022_01_Wildlife vet says its rhino murder not poaching_Defence Web.pdf | 479.75 KB |
Die eienaar van ’n wildsplaas op Outjo, waar 34 renosterhorings in Augustus uit ’n instapkluis gesteel is, is verheug twee verdagtes is in hegtenis geneem.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_Geen borg vir vermeende horingdiewe_Republikein.pdf | 128.4 KB |
The arrest of more suspects connected to the theft of 34 rhino horns from a safe in a house in Outjo might follow after two men, Hofan Amakali and Elias Mutwikange, were denied bail after their first appearance in the town’s Magistrate’s Court on Friday. Inspector Maurene Mbeha, spokesperson of the Namibian Police in the Otjozondjupa Region, confirmed the arrest of Amakali and Mutwikange in the middle of last week.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_Outjo rhino horn thieves denied bail_Informante.pdf | 399.87 KB |
Three men accused of smuggling elephant tusks and attempting to sell the wildlife contraband to undercover detectives in Walvis Bay is set to bring a formal bail application to the Walvis Bay Magistrate’s court later today. Dirk Vermeulen, Edgar Clark were arrested almost three weeks ago and their co-accused Micheal Lusse was arrested a few days later in connection with the sale of two elephant tusks. They were all remanded in custody during the initial appearance in the Walvis Bay Magistrate’s Court Three more suspects have been arrested after the Namibian Police…
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_More rhino Poachers captured_Informante.pdf | 441.88 KB |
Altesaam 280 polisielede van oraloor die land word in teenstropingseenhede op 'n driemaandelikse roteringsbasis in die Palmwagkonsessie en die Etosha en Bwabwata Nasionale Parke ontplooi. Só het die polisiehoof, lt.genl. Sebastian Ndeitunga, verlede week by 'n slypskool vir wildmisdaadwetgewing aan ondersoekbeamptes en aanklaers in die hoofstad gesê.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_Teenstropery_ 280 polisielede veg saam_Republikein.pdf | 88.28 KB |
Altesaam 13 verdagtes is verlede week vanaf 9 tot 15 September in verband met wildmisdaad in hegtenis geneem. Vyf uit die 13 verdagtes is vas oor renosterstropery of die handel in horings, en een oor olifantstropery of handel in ivoor. Volgens die weeklikse statistieke van wildmisdaad van die Namibiese polisie se eenheid vir beskermde hulpbronne (PRU) en die ministerie van die omgewing en toerisme se intelligensie- en ondersoekeenheid, is sewe nuwe sake verlede week aanhangig gemaak. Beslagleggings is op twee elk renosterhorings, olifanttande, lewende ietermagôs,…
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_13 vermeende wildmisdadigers vas_Republikein.pdf | 82.57 KB |
Zwei Nashörner sind im Dordabis-Distrikt Wilderern zum Opfer gefallen. Die zwei Dickhäuter sollen zwischen dem 9. und 11. September auf einer Farm erschossen worden sein. Wie die Polizei gestern nach Redaktionsschluss mitteilte, hat der Farmeigentümer am vergangenen Donnerstag die enthornten Kadaver entdeckt. Die Polizei geht von einem Täter aus, doch bisher wurde noch niemand verhaftet und die Ermittlung dauere an.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_Zwei Nashorner gewildert_Allgemeine Zeitung.pdf | 115.11 KB |
The Minister of Environment and Tourism, Pohamba Shifeta, has called on the Namibian police to enforce strict bail conditions to reoccurring poachers as many of the wildlife trafficking incidents that have been reported are mostly committed by criminals who have been released from police custody on bail. He said that because the poaching business in enticing and profitable, many of the suspects commit the same offense immediately after being released on bail as no one is carefully monitoring their movement and whereabouts.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_Poachers roaming Namibian streets freely_Informante.pdf | 348.13 KB |
Die vermeende renosterstroper wat Sondag glo op polisie- en weermaglede op 'n plaas buite Otavi losgebrand het, het vanoggend in dié dorp se landdroshof verskyn. Mnr. Joseph Ngoma (42) het op klagte van die onwettige jag van beskermde wild, asook die besit van 'n renosterhoring en 'n ongelisensieerde vuurwapen en ammunisie verskyn. 'n Klag van poging tot moord is bygevoeg omdat hy Sondag glo op 15 polisie- en weermaglede geskiet het toe hulle hom in hegtenis wou neem.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_Vermeende skietmal renoserstroper verskyn in Otavi_hof_Republikein_0.pdf | 116.18 KB |
A 40-year-old suspected rhino poacher exchanged gunfire with a team of 15 Namibian Police officers and members of the Namibian Defence Force for nearly two hours on a farm outside Otavi on Sunday.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_Police_suspected poacher exchange gunfire_The Namibian.pdf | 384.13 KB |
Die vermeende renosterstroper wat Sondag glo op polisie- en weermaglede op 'n plaas buite Otavi losgebrand het, het vanoggend in dié dorp se landdroshof verskyn.
Attachment | Size |
---|---|
NAM_2019-09_Vermeende skietmal renoserstroper verskyn in Otavi_hof_Republikein.pdf | 116.18 KB |